Monday, September 17, 2012

Denver Arapahoe Disposable Site (J.Rogers)



            I didn’t know what to expect of the landfill field trip, for I have never visited a landfill before. In my mind I pictured a massive power plant emitting large amounts of pollution and a deep pit where all the trash would be dumped. Instead, DADS Landfill was a dry plain with approximately 2,500 acres soon to be filled with trash. The picture I captured below illustrates how Waste Management goes about unloading trash. Garbage trucks come from all over to deliver a load to DADS, where they then stack the disposable material to a specific height and cover it with soil. I took this photo because it captures the insurmountable amount of trash citizens in Denver dispose of. This mound of trash represents an overwhelming amount of consumption and waste production caused by people in just a few days. Not only does this increase the amount of pollution, it can also be reduced and in a sense avoided. In fact, approximately 75 percent of the waste held at DADS can be recycled. That alone shows how lazy individuals can be and how individuals don’t have the recycling knowledge to know which items are trash and which items are not. In the article, Earth in Mind by David Orr, he touches upon “the power of examples over words” and the importance of “institutions [being] capable of embodying ideals wholly and completely in all of their operations.” I related these words by Orr to the company Waste Management. I strongly believe this company should invest in programs that provide tips to produce less waste and information of what to recycle, allowing the citizens of Denver to experience reality. For example, Waste Management could send representatives to classrooms and allow them to visually experience recycling and its guidelines. What I gained from this experience is a better understanding of waste production and management and a reality check of how much trash I am actually producing. In the future, I will try to dispose of my waste in smaller amounts and be mindful of recyclables.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment