Monday, September 17, 2012

FSEM Class vs. Trash


Standing at the base of a giant mound of trash or recyclable materials is quite an intimidating experience. One is first overcome by the smell and then by the incomprehensible amount of materials that lay before you. I chose a photo that gives a foreign audience an idea of just how large these mounds are compared to the average human being (see Ryan in the red). My first reaction to these colossal piles was filled with disbelief at the fact that such small human beings collectively can create so much waste. I literally had to tilt my head backwards slightly to see the top and squint because my eyes neared the glare of the sun.
            I began to think about how much waste I individually created each day. The piles contained everything from frozen pizza boxes to worn out pieces of clothing. I thought back to the napkins I threw away at breakfast and the packet of gum I threw away just a few hours before arriving. Sure, those were extremely small items but they were none-the-less destined to add just a little more height to either the pile of recycling or the pile in the landfill. Seeing the blocks of recyclable cans, cartons and cardboard gave me a handful of hope because I knew that those items would be processed back into the world someday. Though I had that hope, the realization of how much humans both throw away and recycle was making my stomach turn; I felt that amount was simply far too much.
            The photograph I chose perfectly depicts the feelings I had of being such a small person who creates a vast amount of waste. I also like how Ryan is wearing a red shirt because it stands out in contrast to the pile behind him, enhancing its giganticness. A blue-sky backdrop gives the photograph a bit of an eerie vibe because there is again contrast between the happiness of the sky and the despair associated with the pile. It shows how there is too much waste in this world for our size and capacity as humans. After examining this photo and reflecting on our trip, I realized how important it is that I do my part and make an effort to reduce the amount of waste I created, recyclables or trash. Our world is only so big and we are seriously only so small.
            A quote from Capra: “When the concept of the human spirit is understood as the mode of consciousness in which the individual feels a sense of belonging, of connectedness, to the cosmos as a whole, it becomes clear that ecological awareness is spiritual in its deepest essence.” I strongly agree with this quote and can honestly say that I felt that ‘sense of belonging’ while viewing the vast amounts of waste at our destinations. Ecological awareness is built into our souls and that is why seeing these giant mounds made me feel so small to have contributed to creating this obscene amount of waste. Some people in the world have more awareness than others regarding waste and the environment. I think that visiting places like the landfill and recycling center can open up ones soul and release that sense of obligation to do something to help better the environment, just like Capra has indicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment