Monday, September 17, 2012

Lack of Education Relating To Trash- by Greta Zableckas

         I did not know what to expect on our way to the landfill… I always knew our trash goes somewhere, but wasn’t sure where exactly. Now I know how much trash goes into one pile, how much could have been recycled, how long it may take to fill the landfill, and that blew my mind! It made me sad to think all the trash just gets piled up, and that all people live in a world where trash gets produced everyday as if it isn’t a problem, and that I am one of those people. Now every time I throw a piece of trash away I know where it ends up, and I feel a little guilty. This photograph illustrates my experience at the landfill in the sense that this piece of trash could have been mine, and that I contribute to the landfill everyday, along with children and students all over, specifically shown in this children’s game/study cards. Children are not educated as to where their trash goes, so therefore they are kind of tricked into producing trash, but not like adults or businesses are educated very much either.  Each piece of trash adds up to create the pile of trash in the background. We as a human race are responsible for reducing our carbon footprint and the amount of trash we send to the landfill everyday. We can do this by recycling when possible, buying items with less packaging material, or even just not buying what is unnecessary. 
            I was however really impressed with how Waste Management pulls the gas out of current, finished land fills to provide energy to local homes and/or businesses. I believe there is a way to convert trash into renewable energy, it just has to be discovered. This trip made me think twice about what I’m throwing away and how I could spread the message to others to care about where their trash goes as well. And just like Orr quoted Wiesel in Earth In Mind, the problem with education is “[i]t emphasizes theories instead of values, concepts rather than human beings, abstraction rather than consciousness, answers instead of questions, ideology and efficiency rather than conscience” (8). As a child in elementary school, I don’t remember receiving much information on the waste stream, and I wish for the next generations to come to be greener than the ones before them. Education is key, and we need to value the importance of it between young kids, especially relating to trash and where it goes: they may have the solutions to all of our problems.





No comments:

Post a Comment