Monday, October 8, 2012


Food Packaging Maniac

            Everything we use, the way we live, the food we eat, the experiences we have, all create trash.  Trash is something that most of us do not realize is a problem.  We throw away and throw away without consciousness of our actions and the fact that everything has to go somewhere.  The reality is, our trash is not magically disappearing, it is not vanishing out of thin air; it is going to the landfill!  Packaging that can be avoided is still being produced.  Just about everything comes in a wrapper.  After examining my own trash patterns I realized that trash related to food as well as convenience is the most common forms of trash that I create.
            This realization that came to me in this week long period of tracking was simple: food and convenient products create immense amounts of trash that can be avoided.  It was almost depressing to learn this very uncomplicated fact after eighteen years of living, eating, and creating trash.  You think I would have noticed before that all the food wrapping and all of the packaging had to go somewhere.  Just like Humes said, “The purchases that drive the markets, the products that prove the dream, all come pack-aged in instant trash (the boxes, wrappers, bags, ties, bottles, caps and plastic bubbles that contain products).” (Humes 20). I never thought about what happened to my trash.  Now, it is clear to me as a piece of glass: I’m a convenient product and food trash fiend.  Through analyzing my trash journal I noticed that about ninety percent of my trash was all from food; with the other ten percent coming from cosmetic products.  Every time I have gone to the store (since I was a little child) I was drawn to the colorful Peach-O bags, delicious looking pictures of cheese munchies, and ice creams of all flavors. When looking back at my life-span, I began thinking, if I spent more time actually making food for myself, or not giving in to the temptations of delicious packaged food, I could put my trash creation to a screeching halt. 
            When we go to the grocery store and go down the aisle to look for food, we never see the actual food. We see a picture of what is in the box or plastic wrapping.  We see enticing and mouth-watering pictures of food that make it extremely hard to say no.  Cereals, crackers, chips, frozen T.V. dinners, candies, ice cream, cheese, cookies, milk, eggs, vitamins, etc.  These are all the products that I normally buy from the grocery store.  All of those products come in a bag, container, or box that came from a bigger cardboard box.  By just purchasing these products I am creating massive amounts of trash.  The minute I buy all of this food, I am also buying trash.  I had no guilt before; I was just buying food.  Who could feel guilty about buying the most necessary thing to live (food)?  With my typical American mentality, I didn’t realize that my trash does have to go somewhere.  I did not think about the packaging “protecting the food.”  I only thought about what was inside the packaging.  When I eat the food, I don’t think twice about throwing the trash into the garbage can.  At least I’m throwing it into the garbage can and not littering.  I think that most Americans are just like me.  We do not see that throwing trash away is a horrible thing; some of us even think we are doing the right thing.  I believe my trash production got to the ridiculous point that it was at because I did not know any better.  I did not know any better because nobody ever told me it was wrong.  I was not educated in trash production and most importantly: landfills.  That is where eco-literacy came into my life like a blessing from heaven itself; it opened my eyes to the world in a way I never could have imagined before.  Which made me further realize, eco-literacy is something that should be an integral part of every human beings life because it is so vital to the survival of our planet and especially, all of its inhabitants. 
            In our society, the act of throwing away trash is not seen as a bad thing.  It is considered the “normal” thing to do.  Most of us have no regret and feel no guilt in throwing away tons and tons of trash annually.  I think realization through education (eco-literacy!) is key in the problem of trash.  We do not realize the amount of trash that each of us creates (which is way more than an average person in a 3rd world country, or even Europe!).  If there was education provided not only to young children, but especially people of all ages, there could be national, or even global awareness on the subject of trash.  Trash is the reality of the situation, we just need to come to terms with that reality and act as a country and a planet to stop our problem.  Coming to terms with this harsh and painful reality is a hard thing to do. Yet educating everyone about this reality is a realistic goal that can be accomplished. I think a lot of people are just like how I used to be with my trash problems; there is no conscious decision in throwing away trash.  Creating trash is the “easy” thing to do; it is the convenient thing to do.
            We want the easy way out with food and other products we buy.  Most of the food and other products we buy from the store that are packaged, or pre-made. Through analyzing the rest of my trash production besides food, I noticed a good amount of my trash was packaging from cosmetic items.  Shampoo bottles, makeup, face wash, face wash pads, cotton balls, and nail polish remover all come in packaging.  These are products that I personally buy, that are very common purchases for millions or even billions of people.  These products are necessities for “normal life”.  The right thing to do is to create less trash; but how is that possible when the necessities we need to live comfortably create trash?  We would have to make our own shampoo, conditioner, tooth paste, etc.  The issue with that is it takes a lot of time, which most people either do not have, or are too lazy.  We live in a very dependent society when relating the dependency on products, all types of products, and food.  To put it simply: we are lazy and need the easy way.  This easy way out that most people take, is also the way the causes more trash.  Comfortable, easy living comes with a cost; that cost is measured in weight of trash and therefore pollution.
    Convenient products and food trash have proven to be my enemies in the life-long fight against trash production.  I do not think that I will ever be able to fully and completely stop my addiction to convenience, delicious packaged candy, and munchies.  Although I may not ever be able to completely stop this addiction; I am very glad that I’ve taken this week to stop and actually notice what I throw away.  I am now consciously aware of the effect my trash has; and I am now consciously going to try to throw away less.  The American mentality inside of me may always be there, but at least I am going to try to repress it as much as I possibly can.  Education about the issues of trash production has helped me to change my typical trash patterns.  Eco-literacy will one day create global education and stop the creation of trash production from the store to the home.  




         









TRASH JOURNAL:


September 24, 2012 (Monday)
-       Jazzman’s cup
-       Sushi packaging
-       Cheese munchies bag
-       Gum wrapper
September 25, 2012 (Tuesday)
-       Big cardboard care package box
-       Lizard drink bottle
-       Gum wrapper
-       Tissues (tissue box)
September 26, 2012 (Wednesday)
-       Winchells doughnut bag
-       Flower wrapping
-       Safeway receipt
-       Shampoo and conditioner bottles
-       Lizard drink bottle
-       Sushi packaging
-       Oatmeal box
September 27, 2012 (Thursday)
-       Chip bag
-       Starbucks cup
-       Hagen Daas Cup
-       Peach O bag
-       Safeway receipts

September 28, 2012 (Friday)
NOTHING!!


September 29, 2012 (Saturday)
-       Ginger ale can
-       Straw
-       Tissue wrapping fries up
-       Pop-tart foil wrapping (x2)


September 30, 2012 (Sunday)
-       Napkin from restaurant
-       Cupcake wrapping
-       2 cotton balls
-       Cardboard box
-       Plastic packaging
-       Walgreen’s receipts



Most of waste has to do with food **

No comments:

Post a Comment